Wednesday, August 8, 2012

More abstract encaustic. I am starting to work a little bigger and will have some larger things to show you soon. I am planning on taking a class by R & F Encaustics in NYC September 20-23. So far I am the only person signed up....I hope some of my Everyday Matters buds will join me!





ETA: Here's another piece with some new detail shots that give a better idea of the delicious swirls of color you can get with this technique. This one is 11.5 x 10.75 x .75 on wood.

5 comments:

Jennifer Edwards said...

Wow, Melissa! What rich marvelous color!! I've never worked with encaustics, but the ones I've seen are fascinating with the laying of wax and color! Beautiful work here!

Alex said...

they look cool no matter which angle you choose to look from :)

Unknown said...

These are really interesting. I'm not sure how encaustics work - do you melt the wax?
Stew.
stewcrowther.wordpress.com
_________________________

Melissa said...

Hi Stew! You melt the wax, then let it set, then re-melt it to fuse to layers below. Depending on the temperature and the materials you are using, the effects can vary widely.

Melissa said...

Hi Stew! You melt the wax, then let it set, then re-melt it to fuse to layers below. Depending on the temperature and the materials you are using, the effects can vary widely.