Sunday, September 7, 2014

destruction and regrowth

I've been intentionally introducing some elements of destruction to paintings that seem to me to be stuck at "boring!"  This is a metaphor for me of those times in life when things go utterly wrong and out of control, and we must decide what to make of it.  The first paintings to get this treatment started out here:


To me, they were all about that bright, sunny, perfect spring day.  But then I remembered one such perfect day, when I was called out of class the first day of my last quarter of university to be told of a personal tragedy. I remember the sunlight so clearly....up until that moment, and then not for years later.  So I tried to introduce the shadow and darkness into the paintings.


Here is another example, before, during, and after.


2 comments:

Dan Kent said...

It's a constant struggle, isn't it? My favorite is the second one - I really like the light blue against the yellow and the patterns each color in the piece make. I like the way they each have their own path and yet the each hold their own.

Unknown said...

The first three do exactly what you said, sunlight then shadows, lovely!