Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Long time, no post


....but I will share what I've been up to.

I have been working this summer on a quilt for a friend. It is nearly finished, just quilting it now.


I also taught a little class in our town community center. The theme was "Urbanology" and I taught a unit on the Watts Towers. Even though we are in the Los Angeles area, the kids did not know about the towers, so I started by showing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaIloDyhg90

Then they were given some wire sculpture tools, and here is what resulted!










I can't take credit for it, but the nonprofit that I volunteer with has now put up a mural on a big community corridor. I think it is amazing! for more info, go to thearTree.org.




We are back from two weeks' vacation in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to many Starbucks mugs, I collected some new art supplies-- stabilo pen sets in both sizes, inktense pencils, and a new flexi-sketch book. I came home to a shipment from Cheap Joe's that included paper samplers and some inks! School starts Thursday, so I will have some time in my studio again.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where to start?! That mural is fab! So impressed with the quilt (I would not have the patience!), but my absolute favourite has to be the wire sculptures from your class - they are fantastic! I wanted to do something similar with my class last year but couldn't quite get my head round how to go about it, hope you don't mind me using some of these ideas, but think you've got me more clear on how to do it this year!

Cathy Holtom said...

Beautiful quilt!