Friday, August 19, 2011

an experiment



I loved the trees in the Northwest. I wanted to stay forever. I did take lots of pictures, thinking about how to capture the layers and layers of color. This is a first experiment, the color is a bit distorted by the scanner. I think I will try this again with some actual watercolor paper and see what different things I can do to show layers of color. This was with inktense pencils, watercolor pencils, and a touch of watercolor crayon on a couple of spots.

6 comments:

Alex said...

Love the colors! =) Nice experiment Melissa

Cathy Holtom said...

Great sketch, bet it smelt nice too!

debra morris said...

Nice experiment, lovely colours. I'd recommend buying watercolour paper, although I've become very addicted to it and don't want to paint on anything else!

Charlotte said...

What is it about layers of colour on trees? It could become an obsession! When I saw this I remembered your beautiful Joshua tree image from a while ago.

Dan Kent said...

Nice effort. I have never been able to make watercolor pencils work for me. I look forward to seeing how you progress with the trees. They are always a challenge and fun & interesting to convey. I was in front of some beautiful trees the other day. I considered painting them. Nah. Didn't do it. I would never be able to do them justice.

Anonymous said...

I love what you did, I used to do pastels, but you took to a higher level