Thursday, September 8, 2011

another take on the evergreens





I'm trying with the trees, again, and here are a couple of works in progress. I think the next things I will do are to bring more grey into the side stems and branches, and to bring forward and add the lighter, brighter green to the tips of the central branches. Looking at these, I am shocked at the color distortion from the scanner-- the actual paintings are much lighter and greener. hmmmmm. I tried again with a camera and got a little more accurate colors, but it still isn't right.

Any suggestions (for the painting, the scanner/photos are hopeless!)? I am beginning to think that I need to try out some gouache, which I have never used. Not on these paintings, but as an experiment in its own right.

5 comments:

Kathleen Walker said...

If you have never tried gouache then you should by all means do so, but it is not a transparent paint, colors have a matte sort of chalky look when dry, still you can get very vibrant colors using it, and it is water based so your brushes will work, and cleanup is easy. One advantage is you can go back in when a layer is dry and correct mistakes.

Lynn said...

I really like these, especially the sense of light off in the distance, and the graceful branches.

nanke's stuff said...

I think they're coming long nicely! nancy

Cathy Holtom said...

These are very nice, I like the different colour combinations.

Alex said...

These are beautiful! I love them, and I really like the series