Monday, January 24, 2011

Pine cone studies






More attempts to learn watercolor! The picture I was working with was a pine cone nestled on a dark green bed of pine needles. I can't share it here, it is copyrighted to someone else. First I tried doing both the cone and the needles by laying on paint in heavy layers (Alizarin Crimson, a dark green, and finally ultramarine) and then scraping off with a credit card to form the cone. That worked reasonably well for the pine cone. Other versions show painted on needles and various backgrounds. This worked best when the paper was dry before laying on the paint. Finally I tried it on Yupo, skipping the needles. On the Yupo, I used a damp brush to remove a bit of the layered on paint, and that was sufficient.

8 comments:

Carole Moran said...

I love the colors!

Cathy Holtom said...

All so different, but you've captured the light on all of them.
Interesting to see how the different processes worked!

Unknown said...

I love that you tried so many techniques! You're going to master watercolor very fast with this type of approach! My favorite is the pine cone in the second to last picture. Is that one on yupo?

Melissa said...

Raena, The last one was the Yupo one. Funny, everyone who has looked has a different favorite!

Unknown said...

Love these! I would be so scared to try watercolor.

Barbara B said...

I really like all the techniques that you tried. You've really captured the essence of the pine cone. There's an illuminated quality about the first one...so interesting how the scraping worked out.

Sara Light-Waller said...

Well done! You are going to get the feel of watercolor in no time flat with all this experimentation. :-))

Anonymous said...

wonderful series! I love the colors and seeing all the different approaches.