Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Palm Tree


I wanted to revisit the trees and figure out how to do a palm tree. There are many kinds of palm trees around Southern California, from tall and slender to short with stubby palm fans.

I worked on Yupo again and started with the fan stippler, making cross hatches with the tips of the bristles for the trunk and some long trails for the palm fronds. That seemed incomplete, so I went back and added a layer of long slender individual leaves. That added some dimension to the leaves and I was happy enough with this little study.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the dimension in the leaves! Great techniques. Lovely tree!

Alex said...

Love the palm! =) The leaves are awesome

Cathy Holtom said...

I like how you did the trunk :)

Unknown said...

Great experiment; terrific results!